GSA Mission Statement:
The Graduate Students Association of the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences [UAMS], serves to promote a conducive atmosphere in the campus for overall welfare of the graduate students, represent the graduate students in campus organizations, and act as a liaison between the Graduate School faculty and UAMS Administration to address student concerns. The GSA also serves to promote the graduate program at the UAMS campus and to encourage sharing of ideas in scientific research among the students.
ARTICLE I Objectives & Organization
SECTION 1 The name of the organization is the Graduate Student Association (GSA).
SECTION 2 The objectives of the organization are to:
- Promote the graduate program at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences Campus.
- Promote among its members fellowship and sharing of ideas in research and teaching.
- Represent the graduate students in Medical Science Campus organizations.
- Act as a means of communication between the Graduate School office, the UAMS Administration, and the students.
ARTICLE II Association Meetings
SECTION 1 Association meetings shall be called by the President. Written notice of each meeting shall be provided for the membership prior to each meeting. A minimum of six (6), and a maximum of twelve (12) association meetings shall be called by the President during the academic year.
SECTION 2 One-fourth of the active membership will constitute a quorum.
ARTICLE III Officers, Representatives & Sponsors
SECTION 1 The elected officers shall consist of a President, a Vice-President, a Secretary, and a Treasurer. Other elected positions shall include Representatives to the Associated Student Government (ASG) and any other positions where graduate student representation is needed (see Article III, Section 8). The above-mentioned officers shall plan and execute the affairs of the organization as directed by the membership.
SECTION 2 The President of the organization shall:
- Be responsible for all affairs and for the execution of the objectives as set forth in this
- Serve as a representative to the Graduate Council.
- Appoint any officer to fill a vacancy subject to confirmation by the membership.
SECTION 3 The Vice-President shall:
- Act as President during the absence of the President.
- Serve as program chairman for the organization.
- Serve as a representative to the Curriculum Committee.
- Serve as a representative to the Academic Senate.
SECTION 4 The Secretary shall:
- Be responsible for all correspondence.
- Be responsible for arranging meeting room accommodations.
- Be responsible for notifying all members of meetings or other GSA affairs.
- Record the minutes of each meeting as a permanent record of the organization.
- Report GSA activities to the UAMS Update and local newspapers.
SECTION 5 The Treasurer shall:
- Have charge of all funds and keep a record of all funds collected and disbursed.
- Report financial status of the treasury at every business meeting.
- Submit a permanent set of financial records to the Graduate School office at the end of each fiscal year.
SECTION 6 The terms of office for all officers of the association shall be from April 1 to March 31 of the following year.
SECTION 7 Officers for the next term shall be elected by a vote of the members in good standing during the last week of February. Students will be given an opportunity nominate candidates over a reasonable time frame. Voting will occur following the closing of the nomination period for all contested positions. March will serve as a transitional month between all officers to ensure transition of accounts, materials, et cetera from outgoing officers to newly elected officers.
SECTION 8 Representatives:
The GSA will elect two or more representatives to the Associated Student Government (ASG) according to the provisions in the constitution of that council. The association will have one or more representatives appointed or elected to any other positions where graduate student representation is needed.
ARTICLE IV Membership
SECTION 1 Any individual on the rolls of the Graduate School the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences is eligible for membership.
SECTION 2 Any member in good standing shall have one vote at meetings.
SECTION 3 The association will accept and welcome associate members from basic science and medical faculties and other persons interested in furthering the goals of the association. These persons will not have a vote.
ARTICLE V Expenses
SECTION 1 The operation expenses of the organization shall be met by assessments as passed upon in the semester budget.
ARTICLE VI Amendments
SECTION 1 This constitution may be amended by a two-thirds affirmative vote of the members in good standing. Revised Constitution: Revised and Adopted, Spring Semester, 2020. The Constitutions adopted in 1962 and revised in the Fall Semester of 1964, the Spring Semester of 1967, the Fall Semester of 1976, the Spring Semester of 2002, and the Spring Semester of 2012 are now void.