- Students are allowed to apply for Optional Practical Training for up to a year after program completion in their field of study as long as they meet the following requirements:
- Have been enrolled for at least one academic year on a full-time basis
- Complete and return the Academic Program Verification Form
- Read, sign, and date the OPT Statement of Understanding
Students may apply for OPT up to 90 days before their program end date. It is encouraged that students apply as soon as this date occurs so that there is not a delay in receiving your EAD card to begin employment after graduation.
NOTE: When choosing OPT start date, it is important to make sure you have as close to accurate program end date in relation to your OPT start date.
Process for submitting an OPT Application:
- Obtain adviser signature on Academic Program Verification Form
- Complete the online Form 1-765, Application for Employment Authorization. You will need to use one of the following codes when filling out #16 on the form:
- (c) (3) (A) – Pre-completion OPT (rarely used)~
- (cl (3) (Bl – Post-completion OPT
- Choose OPT start date – email to DSO.
- Obtain a 2 (2X2) size passport-size photos in color.
- Scan a copy of your passport, 1-94 card, and all previous l-20s.
- Read, sign, and date OPT Statement of Understanding.
- Send all documents to your DSO for review and approval.
Your International Student Advisor will contact you to schedule an appointment to submit the application after all documents are reviewed and approved.
Prior to the appointment, Create an account at https://myaccount.uscis.gov/ to be able to log-in and complete the I-765 form online.
Upload all required documents into the I-765 application (this is not required, but recommended).
NOTE: The OPT 1-20 will be processed and emailed to you when all required documents and forms are reviewed and approved.
Meet with your International Student Advisor to review the online submission. You will pay the USCIS application fee during the meeting. Please have your credit card or bank information ready to make the payment.