OPT After Graduation
F-1 students are allowed to apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT) for up to a year after program completion in their field of study as long as they meet the following requirements:
- Have been enrolled for at least one academic year on a full-time basis
- Review the Optional Practical Training Guide
- Complete and return the Academic Program Verification Form
- Read, sign, and date the OPT Statement of Understanding
Students may apply for OPT up to 90 days before their program end date. It is encouraged that students apply as soon as this date occurs so that there is not a delay in receiving your EAD card to begin employment after graduation.
The OPT Application Packet contains all UAMS related forms and a fact sheet that can be used to compile your packet.
Process for submitting an OPT Application
– Obtain adviser signature on Academic Program Verification Form
– Complete Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization. You will need to use one of the following codes when filling out #16 on the form:
- (c) (3) (A) – Pre-completion OPT (rarely used)
- (c) (3) (B) – Post-completion OPT
– Complete Form G-1145, E-Notification of Application /Petition Acceptance
– Choose OPT start date
– Obtain 2 passport-size photos
– Obtain a check or money order of $410 payable to US Department of Homeland Security (Credit cards and cash are NOT accepted.)
– Bring your passport, I-94 card, and all previous I-20s.
– Read, sign, and date OPT Statement of Understanding.
Contact International Student Advisor for appointment to process OPT Application Packet. **NOTE: OPT I-20 will not be processed and given to the student unless all required documents and forms and signed and returned in packet.**
After meeting with the International Student Adviser, please send your OPT packet via Certified Mail to the address provided by the Graduate School.