Information for International Students
The following items must be submitted to the Graduate School no less than four months before the applicant plans to arrive at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
1. Application for Admission including the Summary of Educational Experiences
2. Statement of Purpose
4. Academic Records. OFFICIAL, certified copies of the applicant’s entire academic record are required. Submission of the “Summary of Educational Experience” is required.
5. Individual programs may have admission requirements specific to that program. These are in addition to the basic requirements for admission to the Graduate School. In order to be considered for admission, an applicant must meet all requirements specific to the program as well as the requirements for admission to the Graduate School.
6. English Proficiency Certification. Any international applicant whose native language is English must provide a document identifying their country which notes the native language is English. Any applicant whose native language is not English and who does not have a bachelor’s or master’s degree from a regionally accredited U.S. institution, is required to submit a minimum score of 550 (or 213 on computer based scoring or 79 on internet based scoring) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). The test must have been taken within the two years immediately preceding the requested semester of admission. (Departments have the prerogative of setting higher score requirements.) Arrangements to take the TOEFL may be made . The student should request this organization to mail his TOEFL score to institution code 6901. An official copy of the TOEFL score, issued by the Educational Testing Service must be sent directly to UAMS by the Educational Testing Service. A photocopy of the scores sent to the student is not sufficient. No action will be taken on an application containing a photocopied test score. There is no exception to this policy.
7. Graduate Record Examination. The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is required for all applicants from abroad who seek admission for a graduate degree. The GRE is administered abroad by the Educational Testing Service at the same times and places as the TOEFL. An official copy of the GRE scores, issued by the Educational Testing Service must be sent directly to UAMS by the Educational Testing Service. A photocopy of the scores sent to the student is not sufficient. No action will be taken on an application containing photocopied test scores. There is no exception to this policy.
8. Finances and Expenses. All international students attending UAMS must have sufficient resources to meet all educational and living expenses until their program of study is completed. The estimated annual budget for an international student is currently $33,000 per year but your Affidavit of Support must state a total amount for two years of $66,000.00. If an international applicant believes he/she has sufficient resources to fund the expenses for the length of the degree program he/she must submit documented evidence that sufficient financial resources are available in U.S. dollars. This figure includes non-resident tuition, books, fees, required health insurance, etc., as well as basic living expenses for a student residing in campus housing.
International students may meet these expenses in one of two ways. A Ph.D. applicant is considered for an assistantship that will cover educational and living expenses and payment of tuition by the Graduate School, or a student may meet expenses through personal or other resources. There is no other type of financial aid, such as student loans or grants, available to international students through this institution.
Proof of Affadavit of Support can be shown in the following ways:
- Personal bank statement or savings account – A personal bank reference on bank letterhead from a bank official verifying that you posscess the funds for estimated cost of attendance.
- A sponsor’s bank reference letter verfiying that he/she possesses the funds and an affidavit from your sponsor verfiying his or her intent to sponsor your education.
- Government financial guarantee – Submit the original form or official copy of your award as evidence of financial support. The statement of financial support must be in English; it must specify the sponsoring organization, academic term(s), billing address, and level and field of study for which it is valid. It must also specify the U.S. dollar amount you will receive and how the funds will be paid.
- Additional amounts for dependents per year are: spouse $4,500 and children $2,500 each.
- Life insurance policies, investments, non-liquid assets, and screen shots from an online bank account are not acceptable forms of documentation.
9. Processing Procedures. ALL of the following items must be received prior to any action on an international student application:
- Completed Application and Summary of Your Educational Experience
- Academic records
- Original TOEFL score report (if English is not the native language). Photocopies provided by the student are not acceptable
- Original GRE score report Photocopies provided by the student are not acceptable.
- Any departmental requirements, such as personal statements, letters of reference, subject GRE scores, etc.
To allow sufficient time for departmental consideration and processing of required immigration documentation, international applicants should make sure all of the above items are submitted no less than four months prior to the applicant’s anticipated initial enrollment. If any of the above items are not submitted the application will not be considered.
Under no circumstances will UAMS issue the Certificate of Eligibility for Non-immigrant (F-1) Student Status (Form I-20 A-B) until the applicant has been admitted to the University.